Sunday 29 April 2012

ReVamped by Ada Adams


ReVamped (Angel Creek #1) by Ada Adams

Nineteen-year-old vampire Dawn has led a sheltered life within the confines of her father’s presidential headquarters. Upon being sent on a mission to revamp four goofy misfits into guardians of a peaceful little town of Angel Creek, Dawn believes that all her dreams have finally come true. What starts off as a simple task, turns into something unexpected, changing Dawn’s life forever and leading the action-loving, thrill-seeking vampire teen on a path of mystery, danger and intrigue.

When a human girl is kidnapped by a group of rogue vamps, Dawn discovers that there is more going on in Angel Creek than meets the eye. And it all connects to Ethan, the cute newcomer who seems too perfect to be true, Sebastian, the mysterious vampire with a turbulent past, and even Dawn herself. Dawn must not only succeed in revamping the troubled recruits, but must also prevent the vampire race from being overtaken by a malevolent villain who has a strange and obsessive fascination with her. As threat escalates, romance blooms, and ghosts from her past begin to surface, Dawn is sure of only one thing: her life will never be the same.

My Review:

ReVamped (Angel Creek, #1)ReVamped by Ada Adams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

ReVamped ( Angel Creek #1)by Ada Adams

Ada Adams bring us a new and fresh look into the lives of vampires, it is refreshing, funny at times and well written. The words flowed easily, character descriptions were excellent, and you got to know each character well. All in all I would say this was an excellent read.

We are introduced to Dawn; she is the daughter of the President of the Vampires. In this novel Vampires are out and almost treated like we treat movie stars today. They are sought after, respected and envied by most, but of course there are some people who don’t feel the same way. Dawn is a Born vampire; Born vampires are special and have greater powers, being that both her parents are vampires. Dawn has trained her whole life and is a strong, independent young woman.

Dawn’s father sends her to a small town called Angel Creek to train a group of vampires who are going to become the town’s protectors. Dawn is so happy that her father finally trusts her enough to send her out on a mission and can’t wait to begin training. When Dawn arrives in town she gathers the vampires and realizes she is going to have to work very hard to get this group trained.

Here we are introduced to some new characters and all I will say is it almost appears that Dawn’s new group would fall under the category of the misfit vampires. Of course nothing goes smoothly for Dawn, a human is kidnapped, Dawn herself is almost taken and she realizes there is more going on in this small town of Angel Creek then appeared.

Dawn and her group of trainee’s work together to protect the town and find the girl and of course keep themselves safe at the same time. There is also some romance lurking in this story for Dawn we meet Ethan who is human and Sebastian who is a vampire with many secrets. Both of course are extremely good looking and Dawn who has never even been kissed doesn’t always know how to act around these two.

ReVamped is a great addition to the YA Paranormal genre, I have rated it a 4 out 5 and would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys reading about vampires. Ada Adam has brought us a new and fresh series for us to follow and I cannot wait to read the next book in this series.


“Many people sing in the shower. I write scenes in my head and act them out.”

At the age of five, Ada read her first chapter book. Ever since that moment, she developed an intense passion for stories and characters found within the pages of literature.

In her career as an actress and a writer, Ada currently spends most of her days immersed in imaginary worlds. Much like the characters she enjoys playing and writing about, Ada is a martial artist with a Black Belt in Shotokan Karate. She is also a big proponent of lifelong learning, and has attained a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (it aids in creating characters with unique quirks!) as well as a Master’s of Science in Education.

Ada strives to bring a fresh voice and perspective to fiction. She has been writing creatively for many years, and is an editor of a global fashion/literary magazine called VEUX. She lives in Toronto, Canada, and enjoys adventurous nature hikes with her adorable puppies Cara and Oreo.

Please visit her blog at www.revampedbook.com.





Now, enjoy the interview!


1.      Did you always want to be a writer? And what inspired you to write?

Ever since I learned to read, I’ve had a great passion for creating my own stories. There is something so intimate and magical about reading other authors’ works and getting a glimpse into their minds. I was inspired to explore my own (very overactive!) imagination and write stories about the characters that lurked in there.

2.      How would you describe ReVamped?

“ReVamped” tells a story of a vampire girl, Dawn, who is responsible for revamping a group of misfits (think about everything you know about vampires and then reverse it and you get this gang). Upon Dawn’s arrival to a small town of Angel Creek, she realizes that there is a lot more going on than meets the eye. Throw in a couple of hot guys, an evil villain, and some big secrets from the past, and Dawn soon finds out that she’s in for a lot more than she bargained for.

3.      Which character you had most fun writing?

I enjoyed writing each character for different reasons. I spent most time with Dawn, of course, as she’s the protagonist of the story. I really liked to see her grow from a sheltered vampire girl into someone much stronger and more independent. It was always my intention to leave room for more growth in future installments of the series, so I’m excited to continue that journey with her. I adored writing the scenes with the misfits—they kept me laughing all the time. Even though on the surface, they can be quite stereotypical at times, they are characters with a lot of depth. I look forward to exploring the layers of their personalities and backgrounds in future “Angel Creek” books.

4.      What was your main source of inspiration for the story?

I was intrigued by our society’s obsession with vampires. I wanted to explore what would happen if, enticed by our love for them, vampires decided that it was safe to “come out of the coffin” and live in our world. I figured that we would most likely treat them like celebrities. However, I never wanted to tell a story about perfect vampires. After all, we already have so many great books about such strong, smart, and sexy beings. Therefore, I focused on writing about the misfits—vampires who weren’t really great at the whole “vamp thing”.

5.      What should readers expect from ReVamped?

I hope that readers will see it as a fun and entertaining story—something a little different. It has a lot of humor and some interesting twists and turns. I wanted to write a story about vampires, but at the same time, I really wanted them to have various human characteristics. They deal with issues of the paranormal kind, but they also have many human problems. Initially, I thought that the entire series would be very lighthearted and fun, however I’m finding as the story progresses and the characters grow and change, there are some very intense, serious, and heartbreaking moments. I’m excited to see how the characters will evolve with the story, and hope that the readers will join me on that journey throughout the rest of the series.

6.      How did you come up with the title of your book?

“ReVamped” was “ReVamped” from the beginning! It was initially a script for a TV show pilot, and since it was about a group of misfit vampires undergoing some major changes, “ReVamped” worked well. Once I decided to turn it into a novel, I began seeking out a new name. Throughout the first few drafts, I kept coming back to “ReVamped”. It was what I had associated the book and the story with from the start.

  1. What are your current projects?
I’m currently working on “ReAwakened”, the next book in the “Angel Creek” series. I wish to do my best to deliver the series to my readers in a timely manner. I also have a few other projects which are currently in the plotting stages.

  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in writing your book?
I think that I was most surprised to discover that my characters had a life of their own. Their personalities, motivations, and moods greatly influenced the direction that the story went in. It was wonderful when the protagonists did it, but in one instance, a villain’s actions caused a lot of grief for poor Dawn. I hadn’t originally intended to take the story in that direction, but my villain had other plans!

  1. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I love hearing from my readers! Most find me on Twitter @Ada_Adams and chat with me about their thoughts on the book and the characters. Some threaten to kidnap my computer if I don’t release the sequel soon! For me, the best part of being a writer (aside from having a somewhat valid excuse for interacting with imaginary characters), is getting to know my readers! :)

  1. Any last thoughts or words of wisdom you would like to share with the readers?
If you’re checking out Tana’s book blog, you probably have a great passion for reading, so I hope you always carry that with you! Books are very special, as are the authors and readers who pour their souls into them. If you do read “ReVamped”, I hope you enjoy it!

Thank you very much for having me on your blog today! :)

3 comments:

  1. I am reading this book now and will post review when done. I just skimmed your review in case of spoilers:) Thanks Tana and Ada for the fun interview. It looks like my impressions of the book are similar. Can't wait to finish this!

    laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by Laura, yes I enjoyed ReVamped I hope the next one is coming out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for having me on your blog today. I had a great time answering your fun interview questions! The next book will be out Summer 2012. ARC copies will be available through Netgalley, but there is also an early ARC list that you can get on by emailing info@revampedbook.com. :)

    Happy reading Laura! I hope you enjoy!

    Have a lovely Sunday!
    Ada

    ReplyDelete